Buy copyright free artwork

Drawing Cross Hatching

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

If you look at my earlier posts you will certainly notice that my favorite drawing technique is cross-hatching. I have recently understood that I had been constantly emphasizing my ability to draw using the cross-hatching technique but almost all my examples of cross hatching drawings were portraits. However my hatching art is not limited to portraits only, and today I would like to show you a few non-portrait cross-hatching drawings and illustrations. I think many of these works shows pretty well how to draw cross-hatching in order to create the volume of an image and unusual, cool look. I tried my best to make my cross-hatching style somewhat close to the hatching and cross-hatching drawing style of such famous artists as Albrecht Dürer (https://www.artsy.net/artist/albrecht-durer), Gustave Doré, John Tenniel, Rembrandt, Leonardo da Vinci who are well-known masters of the hatching drawing technique and whose art inspires me a lot. That is why some of my cross-hatch drawings look like old-fashion engraving illustrations.

The book I recommend for learning how to draw with pen and ink

A lot of people ask me what kind of pen I use for drawing cross hatching. Well, I prefer using Uni Pin Fine Line pens 0.1 - 0.5 mm for this drawing style.

Non-portrait cross-hatching drawings


fist drawing (crosshatching)

powerful fist drawing (crosshatching)

cool skull drawing (cross hatching)

bag drawing (crosshatching)

Bear Grylls knife

sandal crosshatching drawing

boat cross hatching drawing

vase with flowers - cross hatching art, pen and ink drawing

Related cross hatching posts:

 

Drawing a portrait (cross-hatching technique)

*****

6 comments:

Family Portrait Artist Kate March 23, 2010 at 6:38 AM  

Love this cross-hatch technique - very well done.

Peter Bryenton September 5, 2010 at 6:31 AM  

Thank you for these examples. I have only just started looking at cross-hatching, so I will now practice more.

http://peterbryenton.typepad.com/phi_one/2010/09/victoria-gardens.html

Rod MacGregor March 18, 2012 at 2:58 PM  

You are a great cross hatcher and teacher of cross hatch!It is generous of you to share your techniques.

ronald February 4, 2013 at 9:24 PM  

can i draw your knife case and knife i love it

Igor Lukyanov February 6, 2013 at 10:44 AM  

Hi Ronald. Sure you can draw them.

Asak,  February 27, 2015 at 9:06 AM  

I love your works. I like hatching and I think I can be very good at it with time. your works give me more inspiration. thanks

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Articles by Me

Recent visitors

Hire me on oDesk

The On Demand Global Workforce - oDesk

  © Igor Lukyanov (Ukrainian artist and illustrator) 2009-2014

Back to TOP